Follow the letters and thoughts flowing from the heart of Marcelo as a response to a Divine and Sovereign Presence who comforts, encourages and continually motivates his smile, even amidst the troubles he is facing.
Pray for Marcelo and his wife Ruth; in this blog you will also discover how you can help.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

When our weakness becomes our greatest strength!

Dear Brothers,

I have not updated our blog in a few days now. High doses of chemotherapy and especially the side effects that accompany this type of treatment are making me physically weak like I have never before experienced. Right now I'm going through what is known as aplasia, when all the blood counts fall.  The immune system resets and opportunistic infections have a party.

Doctors are aware of this situation and I'm getting 4 types of antibiotics by IV, and other oral medications, which have largely been my daily food. For two days I have not had a fever, and the infection in my throat and esophagus have shown signs of improvement.  These are certainly good reasons for gratitude to the Lord.  In His infinite grace He has provided moments of relief.  The physical weakness continues, and I have trouble concentrating my thoughts in moments of prayer, and I find it difficult to read and write. I talked about this with the doctors, and they said that because of my anemia my brain receives less oxygen and this affects my movement and concentration. At this time it is good to remember that we have someone who always helps us in our weaknesses, especially in times of prayer when He intercedes for us when we sigh deeply.

Dr. Caskey scheduled a new marrow biopsy for November 7.  This new biopsy will determine if there is a remission of leukemia, or if treatment with this new drug to contain the disease is producing the expected results . Our hope and prayer is that the leukemia in a state of remission so that it is possible to go to the next phase of treatment, which in this case would be a bone marrow transplant.

It is not currently possible to predict when I will be discharged from the hospital due to very low immunity and also the fact that I often need transfusions of platelets and red blood cells. I will continue here in the total dependency on the grace of God and enjoying the warmth and care of my dear companion, my wife Ruth.

Dear ones: faithful Christians in the past said that there is much in Scripture that leads us to believe that the maturity of a child of God will never be complete without suffering. I believe they were right in what they said and I believe that the quality of our faith is measured not by a great deliverance of that experience, but the joy and confidence that we keep in the Sovereign God in the midst of suffering we experience. I think it is this kind of faith reflected in us that makes people receptive to the heart of God. If it were not so, how could we understand the meaning of that verse from the apostle Paul, "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. "  2 Corinthians 12:10

The infinite grace of God is enough for me and it is only through it that I can say this prayer: "Oh dear Lord, thank you for physical weaknesses, the moments of inability to meditate on Your Word and even converse with you in prayer. I rest in your arms Lord, for I know that you love me so much that you do not spare me pain until the beauty of Christ is seen in me! "

Thank you for your prayers and kindness to us.


Marcelo and Ruth

1 comment:

  1. Marcelo,
    I have friends that attend the First Baptist Church in Merton, Wisconsin. They sent me an email link to your website. I too have had AML and received a bone marrow transplant Dec.2007. I read this entry and very much understand all that you are going through - including the difficulty with concentrating, reading, ect. I really just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your family everyday. I also understood your words about suffering. Our precious Lord wastes nothing we experience. Surviving 2 stage 3 cancers (in 1998 I had stage 3 breast cancer and a transplant)has given me the opportunity to grow and mature in a way that I know I wouldn't have had I not experienced them.
    I will keep checking in to see how you are doing.
    Bless you new friend,
    Deb Martell

    ReplyDelete