Follow the letters and thoughts flowing from the heart of Marcelo as a response to a Divine and Sovereign Presence who comforts, encourages and continually motivates his smile, even amidst the troubles he is facing.
Pray for Marcelo and his wife Ruth; in this blog you will also discover how you can help.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

God is Still in Control

Dear friends,

Yesterday, the oncologist came to talk with us. He had in hand the results of my most recent bone marrow biopsy, and a proposal that would soon be presented to us.

The results of the biopsy found that the round of high dose chemotherapy I received last week has not worked as they expected, which was to stop the progression of the disease.

The doctor is considering a radical change in treatment, since the conventional treatment is not yielding the expected results.  He informed us of a new chemotherapy drug called clofarabine (CLOLAR), which was approved in the U.S. last year and is specific to the type of leukemia I have. The first case treated with this drug was in November, 2008. I asked if I had time to recover from these terrible side-effects before starting a new round of chemotherapy. He said that unfortunately the leukemia will not wait for me to feel better, and that every minute counts right now. There is no room to wait. He looked at me said: The decision is yours, but I need a decision now!

I looked at my dear Ruth, we quickly remembered the way the Sovereign Lord is leading our steps. We made the decision to stay exactly where we are, quiet and serene under the Wings of Grace of our Blessed Redeemer. 

I began to receive the new drug yesterday morning with a smile, thinking that it would not be surprising to find that after all, God brought me here to try this new drug, which may still not have arrived in Brazil. And praying expressions of gratitude and praise, I poured my heart out to the Father, reminding myself that more important than living is living for the Glory of the Author of my life! 

Dear friends, the doctor made it clear that should not have an expectation of healing with this new drug. The fight is to force the leukemia into remission until a bone marrow transplant is available. This is, humanly speaking, my only chance of a cure.  Please take your blood test to see if you are a compatible donor.  You may be the one whom God has chosen to share your life with me!

Beloved, my heart has found all the rest it needs in the beautiful sovereignty of God. How wonderful to imagine that a sinner like me can be the target of so much love! What a great treat for my soul to imagine myself totally surrounded by this sphere of infinite grace and everlasting love! I have immeasurable joy in my heart just to be able to say these two words: MY FATHER! 

Christ my dear Savior, by His perfect and complete sacrifice gave me a new life by faith, and now I am God's son and heir with Jesus of all spiritual blessings in heavenly places. Who can imagine my joy! God is good, and I love Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment